Silly Little Girls

“Because our society, New Zealand society, Western society in general, has been hijacked by a conspiracy of Silly Little Girls. They’re everywhere; in the schools, in the media, in the public service, in the judiciary, even in Cabinet.

Everywhere we turn, the foundations of masculinity, the pillars of male-ness which have underpinned the construction and development of our very civilisation, are being undermined, by Silly Little Girls. And we are putting up with it.”

Richard Prosser, bless him, wrote a book.

And because the only sensible way to deal with statements like the above* is to mock, we’re proposing a pigtail day. (thanks to a suggestion from a FOTLG.) Like boobquake, but with pigtails. Lollipops, tartan skirts and knee socks optional.

More details to follow, but who is in?

* there is plenty much more offensive stuff, and we will deal with that too, at a later date.

10 responses to “Silly Little Girls

1. Chally January 31, 2012 at 4:58 pm

Will you let an Aussie join? I have a pair of knee socks with cupcakes on them.

2. MJ January 31, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Me and my stripy knee socks are in like whoa.

3. Deborah January 31, 2012 at 10:17 pm

My hair is too short to go into pigtails, so I’m going to have to come up with an alternative.

I wonder how Judith Collins feels about being described as a “silly little girl”?

• Bella February 1, 2012 at 4:03 am

Sigh….You do realise this is just a recipe for more male masturbation fantasy’s…much like that Slut-walk wank fest that videos of were making the rounds of titillated men last year odd? Up skirt shots and the whole bit….yeah…that did a lot for Women’s advancement. Idiots.

• tallulahspankhead February 1, 2012 at 6:42 am

Bella, you appear to have not read our comments policy, and the very important “don’t be a dick” part of it. (Nor the hidden “correct apostrophes are important round here” part.)

However, I am going to respond to you, because this is an important point. Since you’re so very concerned for women’s advancement and all.

Why is everything women do predicated on how it affects men? Why should how I conduct my life be based on the male gaze? If I choose to wear pigtails – something I do actually do about three times a week – why should I be shamed for that, for being titillating, for providing wankbank material? If a man chooses to objectify me based on what I’m wearing, that makes _him_ the pig, not me. WHY IS THIS SO HARD TO GRASP?

If what you got out of SlutWalk was that women shouldn’t wear short skirts because men might look at their legs and be aroused, then holy crap, did you royally miss the point. But thank you, for denying the women who were involved with and empowered by a global movement any agency. It’s so nice that you get to do that.

This isn’t about men. It’s frivolous, certainly, that’s the point. But it’s not actually about men. It’s about women. It’s about women having to fight tooth and nail to get into executive and representative positions. And once we get there, our achievements are still denigrated by people who think it is acceptable to call Dame Sian Elias and Judith Collins and Helen Clark and Judy McGregor silly little girls. It’s about talking about us “emasculating men” and “pillars of male-ness”, as though women wanting equality takes something away from men.

So, yes, I will rock out some pigtails, to make the point that this man is a throwback whose opinions shouldn’t be listened to. He’s a misogynist, homophobic, bigot, who now gets the mouthpiece of Parliament. You don’t get to tell me that I shouldn’t do that because it might turn some dude into a slobbering mess. This isn’t about what men see. It’s about me, and how I feel. And that is serious.

• tallulahspankhead February 1, 2012 at 6:00 am

Sparkly hairclips?

4. BNN February 1, 2012 at 6:52 am

i’m in. i often dress girly anyway. will share this with some of my facebook networks.

5. Laurie Fleming February 1, 2012 at 11:49 am

I wish I could help, but my hair is thinning, I don’t have any sparkly hairclips and my kilt doesn’t fit any more.

But anything you do will be more constructive, thoughtful and meaningful than Wishart and Prosser have done in their whole lives.