Dammit, Twitter!

Twitter has been down for me for nearly an hour. This is problematic for me, because it means I go and look at other things on the internet. And because I am stupid and unable to control myself, that ends up with me looking at Garth George’s latest piece of editorial excellence.

First of all, to George’s imaginary “pro-life” friend. The New Zealand Green Party is not the Victorian Green Party. You understand we don’t actually live in Australia, right? I mean, feel free to go live there, we’d all be happier, I think. You can make friends with Tony Abbott, and leave New Zealand women the fuck alone.

Second, that “sinister hidden agenda”? Pretty comprehensively spelled out on the Greens’ website. The Greens have had well signposted private members bills on all kinds of things reprehensible to you, Garth. Have you not been paying attention?

And you know, they increased their portion of the vote markedly in this election. Has it occurred to you that a bunch of people agree with them? And that New Zealand First, your supposed foil for the Greens might too? Possibly not Richard “Ban the Burqa” Prosser, but certainly the delightful Ben Craven who appeared on behalf of NZF at Ladies In The House, was pro-choice.

And lastly, what they have in Victoria:

It provides that any woman can demand an abortion for any reason. The Greens in Australia also support same-sex marriage and same-sex adoption, and an education system which teaches that homosexuality is normal.

sounds like FUCKING PARADISE. You don’t like the “murderously liberal humanism”? I can not stand your fucking creepy interest in the contents of my vagina and womb. I can not stand the way you think you have the right to control what I do with my body. The way you think your right to a legal union is more important than my friends’. You say

Improvements to the economy, health, education, infrastructure and communication are all very well. But it is decisions on these humanitarian issues which will ultimately dictate the shape of our future society.

And you know what? I will fight until I am as old and out of touch as you are, so that those things you hate – you know, equity, tolerance, acceptance, BASIC FUCKING HUMAN RIGHTS – are part of that future society.

11 responses to “Dammit, Twitter!

1. Emma December 15, 2011 at 12:45 pm

Fortunately, Twitter eventually came back, and pointed out who Garth George’s “mate” was: this press release. I assume the press release actually spoke to Garth, because otherwise he’d just be a lying fucking plagiarist.

Again.

2. tallulahspankhead December 15, 2011 at 12:45 pm

OH, Twitter is back. And it has informed me that Garth’s pro-life imaginary friend is in fact corporeal. He’s Ken Orr of Right to Life, who issued a nearly identical news release. Seriously NZ Herald, how are you still publishing this bigoted, talented, dog-whistling, cretinous asshole hack?

• Emma December 15, 2011 at 1:02 pm

But Tallulah! He has an award for Services to Journalism!

• tallulahspankhead December 15, 2011 at 1:05 pm

Don’t. Get. Me. Started.

• john December 15, 2011 at 1:39 pm

i agree with everything you say but usng the fbomb
          will only give mr george the excuse to dismiss your
          arguement as a foul mouthed rant.

• tallulahspankhead December 15, 2011 at 2:31 pm

Mr George would dismiss my argument because I am a woman, regardless of whether I’d written this on sparkly pink paper decorated with ponies. Also, if he wants to dismiss my argument because he makes me angry enough to swear and use all caps, he can, frankly, bite me.

If _you_ don’t like the swearing, I would refer you to our FAQ.

This is the third comment you’ve made that has very little to do with the actual post, and rather is policing what we’re talking about. You might want to look at the comments policy. Specifically, “don’t be a dick.” If you want to actually engage with any issues, feel free, but I won’t be publishing any more comments from you along the lines of this one.

3. tallulahspankhead December 15, 2011 at 2:18 pm

And now, the Herald has shut down comments on the column saying “Due to an increasing amount of unpublishable postings, the ‘comment’ functionality of this article has been disabled.”

So, it’s OK to be massively anti-women, homophobic and bigoted. As long as you don’t disagree with a Herald columnist?